Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Send new protocol keepalive messages to standby servers.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Send new protocol keepalive messages to standby servers.
Date: 2012-06-05 22:55:34
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Can't we have a trial branch where quarantined patches can be placed
> on trial for inclusion in main release?

[ shrug... ] You're welcome to publish a personal repo somewhere with
such things. But even if we did that in the master repo, it would have
approximately nothing to do with released versions. You might as well
just figure on submitting the patch into 9.3.

> Plus. if we have extensions, why does adding a function need to force
> an initdb?? Why don't we use our own infrastructure?

I thought I already pointed that out, but: we have *extensions*. What
we don't have is a convenient method of dealing with functions that need
to be migrated across extensions, or from an extension to core, between
one major release and the next. It would clearly be nice to have that
someday, but we don't have it now. Designing on the assumption that 9.3
will be able to do that nicely, when the required infrastructure is
still barely at the handwaving stage, seems like folly to me.

(In fact, pg_upgrade has more or less broken the ability even to do
significant refactoring within an extension, as I was ranting about in
another thread recently. We really need to fix that. But let's not
assume it's going to happen on any particular schedule.)