Re: plpgsql by default (was: Re: Remote administration contrib module)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql by default (was: Re: Remote administration contrib module)
Date: 2006-04-11 02:45:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew - Supernews <andrew+nonews(at)supernews(dot)com> writes:
> On 2006-04-10, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> [ security ]
>> It actually is the reason I have heard.

> And it was duly debunked.

That is the reasoning, and personally I agree with it. You don't leave
sharp objects sitting around if you have no need to have them out.
The availability of plpgsql or other PLs makes for a significant jump
in what a bad guy can do if he gets access to the database, so if a
particular DB doesn't actually need the capability, it's best that it
not be there. And that's without considering the possibility of genuine
security holes in the PL, but just supposing that it only does what it's
supposed to do.