Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?

From: Alvar Freude <alvar(at)a-blast(dot)org>
To: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] What can we learn from MySQL?
Date: 2004-04-23 21:14:17
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

Hi,

- -- pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com wrote:

> I would say this is a clear 'NO!' When ever I read about open-source being
> used anywhere, I always read MySQL. They are *very* good at this.

yes!
Some days ago, there was a news in the Heise Newsticker (most important IT
news in germany), about MySQL clustering.

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/46511

"4*2 processors with 100000 replicated transactions per second" was the main
statement.

I'm sure, that this is the typical MySQL blabla: no transactions, but select
statements ...

<http://www.heise.de/newsticker/foren/go.shtml?read=1&msg_id=5487088&forum_id
=55321>

I'm not sure, if iot is a good idea to go down with the niveau to such lies.

>> o Are we focused enough on ease-of-use issues?
>
> Again, NO! To often you guys settle for a work-around rather than a
> feature. You are satisfied that symlinks will do the job. When someone
> says they want a feature, you say, no - use a symlink.

[...]

yes, you are right!

One additional thing: when updating from 7.x to 7.y, a new initdb is needed.
This means: If I have some GB Data, the RDBMS is some ours down for
upgrading. This is really no good situation. There should be a way for
converting the storage on the fly: Updating and let postgres do the rest
automaically.

I guess this is not really easy; but it is important!

Ciao
Alvar

- --
** Alvar C.H. Freude -- http://alvar.a-blast.org/ -- http://odem.org/