Re: problem with casts dump/restore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: problem with casts dump/restore
Date: 2005-01-11 18:53:37
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

"Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com> writes:
> I just noticed that pg_dump does not seem to be exporting at least one
> of my user defined casts...In particular, this one:

> CREATE CAST (xid AS oid)
> WITHOUT FUNCTION;

This is per design, more or less:

/*
* As per discussion we dump casts if one or more of the underlying
* objects (the conversion function and the two data types) are not
* builtin AND if all of the non-builtin objects namespaces are
* included in the dump. Builtin meaning, the namespace name does not
* start with "pg_".
*/

(The discussion in question is from late Sept 2003.)

The problem is basically that there's no way to detect that this isn't a
built-in cast.

In 7.3 and later there is another way to attack that question, which is
to look to see if there's a "pin" dependency in pg_depend for the cast.
Kinda ugly but it might do.