Re: BUG #5340: Requirement of different syntax on different OS

From: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
To: pradeep <patilpradeep_15(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5340: Requirement of different syntax on different OS
Date: 2010-02-22 20:21:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 2:51 PM, pradeep <patilpradeep_15(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

> Bug reference:      5340
> Logged by:          pradeep
> Email address:      patilpradeep_15(at)yahoo(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 1.10.1
> Operating system:   windows 7
> Details:
>
> If I am using windows 7, I need to pass following query
>  "select max(column_name) from table_name"; to get the highest entry in that
> column, but if I am using Windows XP, I need to pass query "select
> max('column_name') from table_name"; for the same operation.
>             Why do I need single quote when I am using XP and not when I am
> using windows7 ?

ah? i have windows xp and never have need to put those single quotes,
if the name of the column was created with uppercase you could need to
quote "ColumnName" (this is not single quote, though)

can you give a simple test case? i mean, a create table (maybe some
test data) and a select... that works the way you describe on those
OSes

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova