about some parameters

From: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: about some parameters
Date: 2010-01-01 06:55:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Every time i explain what is the fsync parameter for, the next thing i
always say is: "never turn it off", and now that we have
synchronous_commit there is no good reason for turn fsync off... so
why are we still let it be in the postgresql.conf where it's so
vulnerable to a misguided dba?
even just not show it should be great.

another parameter that is interesting is seq_page_cost, AFAIUI all the
other cost parameters (in the planner section of course) are relative
to this one. so what is the logic in allow changing it?
going a little further, when we have this per tablespace what will
mean to change a tablespace seq_page_cost? it will be relative to the
general one?

--
Atentamente,
Jaime Casanova