Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Steve Tibbett" <stibbett(at)zim(dot)biz>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers-win32" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Microsoft releses Services for Unix
Date: 2004-01-14 21:59:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Steve Tibbett:
> A "Native" Windows application is one that integrates well with the
rest
> of the OS.. meaning it logs to the event log, runs as a service,
supports

My big issues with pg/cygwin are that it's slow and tends to crash a
lot. Also, the ipc runs as a separate service which also crashes and
does other weird things. Pg/sfu would not have these problems.

Also, logging/services, etc. are the things that are really different in
windows and could be easily tailored to that platform, as opposed to
writing a signal emulation layer.

> performance monitor counters, responds to system shutdown and power
> management events, etc.. trying to support this stuff while running in
> Interix might well be impossible (you can't make Win32 calls from
outside
> the Win32 subsystem can you?)

Why can't you? Interix is just another API you can call (a 3rd, on top
of the existing posix implementation and win32). You can already mix
posix and win32, for example.

Merlin