Re: XML ouput for psql

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: "Alan Gutierrez" <ajglist(at)izzy(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XML ouput for psql
Date: 2003-03-05 13:15:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers
XSLT could be used to convert virtually any xml table format directly
into an insert statement.  For me, this is better than using a
programming language plus a parser.  XSLT is quite powerful and fast and
is build on top of xpath, and is a closer fit to the declarative
programming model of sql.  Validation could be done at the xslt stage or
with schemas, which I prefer.

> Acually, the difficult part has been getting the information back
> into the database. Getting it out is a very simple query. I imagine
> that every language/environment has an SQL->XML library somewhere,
> but I wasn't able to find something that would go from XML to SQL.

Next:From: Greg StarkDate: 2003-03-05 13:32:31