FW: Elocution

From: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: FW: Elocution
Date: 2002-12-12 21:20:42
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

-----Original Message-----
From: Merlin Moncure
Sent: Thursday, December 12, 2002 1:05 PM
To: 'jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr'
Subject: RE: [pgsql-advocacy] Elocution

I looked at the code some months back and concluded that it wasn't, but this was some months back and I was not 100% sure.  If it does, it is on an extremely low level and not bothersome like postgres.  This is nice because:

1. you do not need to install a linux folder layout on your machine to run a single app
2. you don't have to sign off on cygwin licensing.
3. you don't have to deal with the ipc-daemon (barf).

I do know that mysql uses asynchronous file I/O, one of the very nice features of NT, which strongly suggests they spent some time and effort doing the port.  I hope the postgres team uses this feature.  I find that when running large complex queries on windows machines mysql seems to waste lots of time doing nothing, possibly wasting time waiting for mutex objects and the like.  So, their windows port is not perfect.  It also seems to crash more often than when run in linux.

Merlin