Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Controlling changes in plpgsql variable resolution
Date: 2009-10-19 16:42:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Oct 19, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:

> Uh, what dollar quoting? $_$ is what I typically use, so I wouldn't
> expect a $ prefix to cause a problem. I think it'd be more of an
> issue
> because pl/pgsql still uses $1 and whatnot internally (doesn't it?).

Yes, but that's no more an issue than it is in Perl, where the same $n
variables are globals. The issue with dollar quoting is that you can
put anything between the dollar signs. So if you have two $variables,
they can get in the way. Potentially. But perhaps the lexer and/or
Parser won't be confused by that, Tom?

I'd sure love $, as it's like shell, Perl, and other stuff.

Best,

David