Re: Changes to handling version numbers internally

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Changes to handling version numbers internally
Date: 2000-06-30 01:31:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The version number would be set in configure.in as in

Makes sense to me. Right now there is a list someplace of all the
places that have to be edited to update the version number :-(.
If configure could help centralize/automate that, it'd be great.

I also concur that supporting non-numeric suffixes on the version
string would be a big improvement.

> I also think that we could scrap the pg_version program.

Yes, it seems like dead weight to me too. I think that it
predates our use of configure, so at the time it might have
been necessary mechanism, but now...