Problem mit PostgreSQL

To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Problem mit PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-09-25 16:47:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hallo,

After seting up a new SQL-Server:

Debian-WOODY (www.lehmanns.de)
2.4.18 selfcompiled
PostgreSQL 7.2.1-2
php4-cgi 4:4.1.2-4
php4-pear 4:4.1.2-4
php4-pgsql 3:4.1.2-4
phppgadmin 2.4.1-2
python 2.1.3-3
Apache 1.3.26-0woody1

I have gotte many trouble:

PostgreSQL do not let me create any databases:

tamay(at)sql:~/ > su postgres
postgres(at)sql:/ > /usr/lib/postgresql/bin/initdb -D /home/postgresql/tamay
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".
The user must also own the server process.

creating directory /home/postgresql/tamay... ok
creating directory /home/postgresql/tamay/base... ok
creating directory /home/postgresql/tamay/global... ok
creating directory /home/postgresql/tamay/pg_xlog... ok
creating directory /home/postgresql/tamay/pg_clog... ok
creating template1 database in /home/postgesql/tamay/base/1...
IpcSeemaporeCreate: segment(key=1, num=17,03600) failed: function not
implemented

initdb failed.
Removing /home/postgresql/tamay.

Now I have installed the sources postgresql-7.1.3.tar.gz from the
O'Reilly (Practical PostgeSQL), Something for Debian modified (e.g.
Directorys), compiles, installed and started.

All Examples of the Book are working...

Oh yes, anyone has told me, that the Semaphores are not enabled in
the Kernel, but I have only found SEMMNS and SEMMNI and changed
them to a higher value, but where can I enable Semaphores ???
There is no option in 'make config' or 'make menuconfig'.

Question: Is in the Debian-Package a BUG or is something missing ?

Many Thanks in Advance
Michelle