Re: pg_dump: use ALTER TABLE for PKs

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Neil Conway <nconway(at)klamath(dot)dyndns(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump: use ALTER TABLE for PKs
Date: 2002-02-19 14:23:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 21:26 18/02/02 -0500, Neil Conway wrote:
>The patch is pretty simple, partly because the code was already there,
>just commented out ;-) I fixed a typo and added some comments.

When I originally wrote the commented-out code, we did not have the ability
to make 'dependant' TOC Entries, so it uses the OID of the index as the PK
OID in the ArchiveEntry call.

I can't really think of a case where the index OID would be less than the
table OID, but it might be good to put the table OID in the deps list; this
will force the PK to go after the table in all cases. Did I mention I'm
paranoid?

It's also a first step in the ability to dump a 'whole table' Vs. just a
table definition - which we will need when all constraints can be dumped
via 'ALTER TABLE'.

For clarity, 'whole table' might mean the attrs, indexes, constraints,
triggers etc.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_