Re: Ultimate DB Server

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: "Mike Rogers" <temp6453(at)hotmail(dot)com>, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jean-Michel POURE" <jm(dot)poure(at)freesurf(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: Ultimate DB Server
Date: 2001-10-29 05:36:58
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

(reply- s/hackers/general/)

Well I put that sort of thing into my application logs, personal preference
for now.

It seems to me mixed transaction tables are likely to create an error prone
environment for little real gain.

No transactions doesn't necessarily mean faster (or slower). IMO MySQL has
that feature for backwards compatibility. Little to do with performance.

It would be good for claims regarding overheads/performance issues to be
backed by reproducible experiments, or at least interesting
statements/arguments.

I've used MySQL and it was far better than Postgresql when Postgresql was
Postgres95 (yuckyuckyuck!). While Postgresql has really gone a long way,
MySQL seems to have been stuck in denial till recently.

Will be interesting to see if MySQL can pull off the Windows vs Mac trick :).

I hope it will be a good clean fight :).

Cheerio,
Link.