Re: Why do things slow down without a VACUUM?

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>
To: GH <grasshacker(at)over-yonder(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why do things slow down without a VACUUM?
Date: 2001-04-30 03:23:57
Lists: pgsql-general
At 09:17 PM 29-04-2001 -0500, GH wrote:

>As it seems you know, PostgreSQL "leaves behind" the stagnant rows after
>an UPDATE or DELETE; it merely sets a flag (IIRC) to that effect.

OK. I read http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/aw_pgsql_book/node110.html

So the stagnant rows are for the other transactions.

I was hoping that there would be a way for queries to find rows quickly,
ignoring stagnant rows. e.g. maybe a subindex pointing to the latest row
with some info so that transactions know whether they should use the latest
or not (Not valid if your transaction started before... - with the usual
rollover issues ;) ). Something like that anyway.

Cheerio,
Link.