Re: Breaking of existing apps with CVS version

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Pgsql-Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Breaking of existing apps with CVS version
Date: 2000-11-23 04:51:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers
At 23:27 22/11/00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
>>
>> Is there a reason why it doesn't promote float8 to numeric?
>
>Mixing exact and inexact numerics (to use the
>spec's terminology) can hardly be expected to produce an exact result.

I suppose it's a question of working in the most accurate representation
for each number to minimize inaccuracy, then representing the result as
accurately as possible. Since numeric is more accurate for calculation, I
assumes we'd use it if we had to choose. How we represent the result may be
up to the SQL standard.

All that aside, I was more worried that when people start upgrading to 7.1
we might be a flood of "my application doesn't work any more" bug reports.

>However, it may indeed cause
>people to run into the numeric-vs-float8 ambiguity.

It's a little more than an ambiguity; anyone that mixes floats with sums
will get a crash in their application.

Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/