Re: reproducable command sequence to get "mdopen: Couldn't open..."

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)partitur(dot)se>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reproducable command sequence to get "mdopen: Couldn't open..."
Date: 2000-10-16 02:35:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs
At 12:41 15/10/00 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>Making ALTER TABLE RENAME abort-safe requires changing the conventions
>for naming physical table files, and the details have been sufficiently
>controversial that it's not been done yet.  In the meantime our only
>choices are to forbid ALTER TABLE RENAME within transaction blocks, or
>allow it with the knowledge that people can shoot themselves in the foot
>with it.  The above warning notice is the current compromise.

Is it going to be in 7.1? If not, it might be worth disabling in TX blocks
since a mistyped SQL query can cause an aborted transaction, something that
is somewhat counter-intuitive. Maybe the message should be expanded to say:

    NOTICE:  Caution: beyond this point, a mis-spelled attribute name will
corrupt your database

Just an idea... ;-)

Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /