Re: AW: Status of new relation file naming

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, "'Mikheev, Vadim'" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: "'hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AW: Status of new relation file naming
Date: 2000-09-14 09:28:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 10:00 14/09/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

>> > My vote is for a random number, and then someone can write
>> > the tools to display the file info. I'll even volunteer to
>> > work on them...
>
>What was the advantage of random number over oid [+version]
>in the light that there is an extra field in pg_class for other smgrs ?

None other than it removes the temptation to write utilities that rely on
the internal representation of our data.

>We surely want readable names for tablespace files, no ?

So long as we say from the outset that 'rename tablespace' must be done
outside of transactions, and while the database (or at least the tables
that it contains) are not available.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.B.N. 75 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_