Re: AW: AW: Modified pg_dump & new pg_restore need testing...

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: AW: Modified pg_dump & new pg_restore need testing...
Date: 2000-07-03 08:50:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 10:39 3/07/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:

>Could the text format be changed in a compatible way,
>that would allow pg_restore's features ? I am thinking of inserted comment
>lines that describe the needed sections.

Quite possibly; although part of my motivation in writing to the new format
was to avoid writing a text parser. There is no reason why it couldn't use
a text file by doing a pass through the file to construct a TOC, but this
seems like a bad idea for large backups, and not really necessary for small
backups (especially with the -Z option).

That said, I'm happy to give it a go - the output file is already pretty
'parsable'.

>Imho the new default format does not need to be compatible
>with pg_dump's output. I would still not compress by default.

I'm happy to do this; at the moment it uses zlib default compression by
default for the custom format, and no compression for the plain text
output. I'm happy to make uncompressed output in all cases, and require the
'-Z' qualifier before I compress.

Does anybody else have a preference on this?

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \