Re: AW: Proposal: More flexible backup/restore via pg_dump

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Giles Lean <giles(at)nemeton(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: Proposal: More flexible backup/restore via pg_dump
Date: 2000-06-28 03:10:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
At 08:48 28/06/00 +1000, Giles Lean wrote:

>> Part of the motivation for this utility was to allow DBAs to fix the
>> ordering at restore time, but otherwise I totally agree. Unfortunately I
>> don't think the RI checks can be delayed at this stage - can they?
>
>The current pg_dump handles the data and then adds the constraints.

Not as far as I can see; that's what I want to do, bu there is no
implemented syntax for doing it. pg_dump simply dumps the table definition
with constraints (at least on 7.0.2).

>Otherwise there are "chicken and egg" problems where two tables have
>mutual RI constraints.  Even at the tuple level two tuples can be
>mutually dependent.

Absolutely. And AFAICT, these happen with pg_dump.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/