Re: physical backup of PostgreSQL

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>, "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: physical backup of PostgreSQL
Date: 2000-06-26 13:58:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 12:13 26/06/00 +0200, Zeugswetter Andreas SB wrote:
>After further thought I do think that a physical restore of a backup
>done with e.g. tar and pg_log as first file of backup does indeed work.

Even if the file backup occurs in the middle of a vacuum?

I like the idea of a non-SQL-based backup method, but it would be nice to
see some kind of locking being done to ensure that the backup is a valid
database snapshot. Can some kind of consistent page dump be done? (Rather
than a file copy)

I believe Vadim's future plans involve reuse of data pages - would this
have an impact on backup integrity?

My experience with applying journals to restored databases suggests that
the journals need to be applied to a 'known' state of the database -
usually a snapshot as of a certain TX Seq No.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: (+61) 0500 83 82 81 | _________ \