Re: [NOVICE] [OT] How to avoid using Reply-All on this list

From: "Anthony E(dot) Greene" <agreene(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: al <al_h(at)technologist(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] [OT] How to avoid using Reply-All on this list
Date: 2000-06-02 21:17:33
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-novice

At 15:16 2000-06-02 -0500, al wrote:
>simply ignoring a problem wont make it go away

The above statement does not reflect the course of action I took.
Regardless, my solution is not intended to make the problem "go away". It
is intended to save me the time and effort it would take to:

1. Attempt to convince the responsible parties to implement the preferred
fix.

2. Edit my replies to the affected lists to address them in the manner I
prefer.

>I advocate learning software before you try to use it in the real world
>apparently you feel different........

I'm not sure what data you used to reach this conclusion. What evidence do
you have of deficiencies in my knowledge of software?

>> >when something is setup wrong you fix it
>> >dont adjust EVERYTHING ELSE
>>
>> You assume, incorrectly, that such a fix has not been attempted.
>>
>who said I assumed ANYthing???

Simple. The statement "when something is setup wrong you fix it" implies
pretty clearly that an fix was not attempted. It also implies the ability
to get it fixed.

>> Actually I'm someone who has already posted just such a suggestion and not
>> received a response.
>
>So after one voice out of thousands was not heard you give up and allow
>a wrong to perpetuate??

I stated so pretty clearly already. I do not have enough of an emotional
investment in seeing this fixed on the several lists that affect me to
spend the requisite time *attempting* a fix for each one. This issue seems
to energize you. Why don't *you* do it?

>> I am subscribed to several lists where there is no Reply-To header. I could
>
>this is the ONLY list(out of ten) that I know of with this mistake

My experience differs.

>just because you have gotten used to improper list administration does
>not make it right

I never attempted to portray the current list policy or configuration as
"right". In fact I stated that there may be reasons for it that I may not
agree with. I'm not sure how you interpreted any of my statements as saying
the current policy/config is "right".

Your statement that there is "improper list administration" makes a
judgment that the list should send a Reply-To header (or a functional
equivalent). I agree, but I have not said, and will not say, that the list
administration is "improper", only that I do not agree with it. It seems
that since you disagree with it, it is "improper". What's proper on a
mailing list is what the list owner says is proper. Are you the list owner?

>> spend a lot of time trying to convince the list owners and perhaps get a
>> consensus of influential subscribers for each list to support a change, or
>> I could do what I did; make a suggestion, then fix my own problem with 10
>> minutes of coding and testing and move on to productive work.
>
> A typically desktop-centric train of thought
>This list exist on the internet and not your desktop

This list exists in a file on a server somewhere, not "on the internet".

>My suggestion is to get the rats out of the kitchen
>NOT vaccinate everyone for the plauge

If you can't get the rats out, then what? Tilt at windmills or go for Plan
B? The world is not perfect. Not every solution is the preferred one. Time
and other resources affect decisions about solutions.

My suggestion is that you practice what you preach. Talk is cheap. Get this
list changed and I'll send you addresses for the rest that I know of. Let's
see how far you are willing to go before you decide that you have limited
resources and better things to spend them on. Don't stop until you get them
all fixed.

That is what you're advocating, isn't it?

Tony
--
Anthony E. Greene <agreene(at)pobox(dot)com>
PGP Key: 0x6C94239D/7B3D BD7D 7D91 1B44 BA26 C484 A42A 60DD 6C94 239D