Re: What are your using it for?

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lylyeoh(at)mecomb(dot)com>
To: Adriaan Joubert <a(dot)joubert(at)albourne(dot)com>, rcook(at)bix(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What are your using it for?
Date: 2000-04-20 01:28:16
Lists: pgsql-general

At 10:20 PM 19-04-2000 +0300, Adriaan Joubert wrote:

>DS-20. For a small organisation Oracle is just too expensive on high-end
>hardware and postgres is pretty good and improving all the time. Show me
>another system where you can either fix bugs yourself or get a fix off the
>mailing list in a few hours! Adriaan

Show me closed source stuff where you get to hear the developers say openly
"This area doesn't work well and needs an overhaul", and thus save yourself
a lot of grief.

For most closed stuff I've had responses (from "technical support" people)
like
1) It installs and works beautifully.
2) "Here's a soft copy of the manual".
(If the software worked like the manual promised I wouldn't be talking to
you. Doh!
How about a HOWTO with a known to work config?).
3) There have been no reported performance problems with that.
(Well here's one now! Later I found at least someone else had encountered
that prob)

Well maybe it's me- I can follow the installation manual step by step, read
the readmes, do everything according to the book, and somehow things don't
work for me.

Anyone can help remove my Murphy Field Intensifier?

Cheerio,

Link.