Re: [HACKERS] Copyright

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, reedstrm(at)wallace(dot)ece(dot)rice(dot)edu
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Copyright
Date: 2000-01-29 05:24:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 12:53 29/01/00 +0900, Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> > I seem to recall some discussion of creating a separate legal entity
>> > to hold the copyright, but offhand I don't see what it buys us
>> > except more paperwork. The same people (ie, the core developers)
>> > would have the final say over what either that entity or PostgreSQL,
>> > Inc does, so what's the difference?
>> >

>> Ah, corporate assets? What if someone bought out PostgreSQL, Inc., for
>> a huge sum of money. They'd get control of anything PostgreSQL, Inc.
>> has control over. One can't buy out a non-profit organization.
>
>I am worried about that too. Maybe we need an organization something
>like the Apache Software Foundation to hold the copyright.

This sounds like a very good idea; I've sent some very general questions to
the Apache people asking about the issues (and costs) involved in setting
up the ASF - it'll be interesting to see what they say (if anything). If
anyone on the list, actually knows something about process, that would be
great too.

Any US lawyers out there, by any chance?

I've often thought of donating funds for PGSQL, especially for features I
would like (like optimizer hints), but in the longer term, setting it up on
a good legal footing is probably a far more substantial contribution, and
far more needing of funds. Does anybody else feel the same way (monetarily
speaking)?

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_