Incrementing a Serial Field

From: Bob Kruger <bkruger(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Incrementing a Serial Field
Date: 1998-11-09 17:07:57
Lists: pgsql-general

First off, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who
worked on the new postgres v6.4.  I have it up and working here, and most
all appears well.

I do have two questions.  Firstly, I have one table that is updated from a
text file.  This table also has a serial field that is incremented with
each new record.  Is there a way to use the copy command to have that field
automatically updated - e.g. copy table_one from '/data/files/input.txt'
using delimiters '|' ?

So far, I can get this text file to import just fine when using a table
without a serial field, but as of yet not had any luck in importing it into
a table that has a serial field.

I suppose that I could parse the file and do an "insert into etc....  ",
but I fear that would be a little processor intensive for a 12000 line file.

The second question is that I noticed the ODBC bug (feature?) when linking
Postgres to MS Access still exists.  This bug occurs when linking a MS
Access table to a Postgres table, and identifying more than one field as
the unique record identifier.  This makes Postgres run until it exhausts
all available memory.  Does anyone know a way around this?  Enabling read
only ODBC is a feature I would like to make available, but I do not want
the possibility of postgres crashing because of an error on the part of a
MS Access user.

BTW - Having capability to be linked to an Access database is not an
option.  The current project I am working on calls for that, so it is a
necessary evil that I hav to live with.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards - Bob Kruger

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: rootDate: 1998-11-09 17:35:30