Re: [INTERFACES] Odbc and Visual Basic

From: Sbragion Denis <infotecn(at)tin(dot)it>
To: Stephen Davies <scldad(at)sdc(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Odbc and Visual Basic
Date: 1998-04-27 09:47:18
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

At 18.11 27/04/98 +0930, you wrote:
>I don't quite follow this.
>
>I have VB5 apps which update PostgreSQL tables which do not have unique
>indexes. The same apps work under VB4 as well and with both the old and new
>ODBC drivers.
>
>I have never tried the Access route (and never will) but understood that the
>unique index problem was an Access thing rather than VB.

I'm pretty sure about this. It's in the VB 5 help (I'll search it again in
the help and I'll quote it out in my next message). At least if you wan't
to use datacontrols and recordset to do updates. Of course you can always
perform the same updates using passthrough queries, and this, of course,
works.
You can do some test for example using VisData. It uses datacontrols to
perform operations and it needs unique indexes on the tables to allow updates.
Well, if I'm wrong, please explain me how to do it. I'm really interested.

Hope it helps.

Bye !

Dr. Sbragion Denis
InfoTecna