Re: pl/pgsql documentation

From: Darcy Buskermolen <darcy(at)ok-connect(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pl/pgsql documentation
Date: 2001-01-26 03:13:06
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Ok this has since been sorted out, however I propose that it is better
layed out in the documentation, or at the veryleast an example is given.
i MUST be defined as a RECORD, and you then refrence the returned result as
RECORD.field, Also you can NOT have ()'s arouns the select statement.

CREATE FUNCTION test3(INT4) RETURNS INT4 AS '
DECLARE
loc INT4;
i RECORD;
BEGIN
loc := $1;
FOR i IN SELECT id FROM major_groups LOOP
loc := loc + i.id;
END LOOP;
RETURN loc;
END;
' LANGUAGE 'plpgsql';

select test3(2);

>Short Description
>pl/pgsql documentation
>
>Long Description
>The following documentation does not apear to reflect real world use.
>
>[<<label>>]
>FOR record | row IN select_clause LOOP
> statements
>END LOOP;