restricting access in upgrading?

From: Ari Jolma <ajolma(at)ahti(dot)hut(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: restricting access in upgrading?
Date: 1998-11-20 07:32:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

I'm upgrading my postgresql once again and again there is this note in the
INSTALL file: "Caution: You must make sure that your database is not
updated in the middle of your backup. If necessary, bring down postmaster,
edit the permissions in file pg_hba.conf to allow only you on, then bring
postmaster back up." OK, I understand and I even can achieve this using only

local all password
pg_passwd_single

in my pg_hba.conf where pg_passwd_single is something I only know but this
makes it impossible to use pg_dumpall. So how should I obey the caution?

Ari