Re: command length?

From: stev knowles <stev(at)Precision(dot)Guesswork(dot)COM>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, Postgresql Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: command length?
Date: 2002-06-28 19:33:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

>Stev,
>
>> i am using a C interface into the database, based on the example code.
>> occasionally, one of my INSERT's fails, with: INSERT command failed:
>> PGRES_FATAL_ERROR.
>>
>> other inserts work correctly. re-entering the data doesnt seem to help, and
>> a comparison with a successful INSERT doesnt yield anything obvious. is
>> there any way to get a more granular answer for what it didnt like?
>
>Yes. Watch the PostgreSQL Log file, assuming that you started Postgres
with
>a log file. If you didn't, then re-start Postgres with the output funneled
>to a log. If necessary, up the debug level.

thanx. i used psql to load the record one field (OK, 5 fields:) at a time,
and figured it out. the problem records have words like "don't" in them,
which is screwing with the delimiters on the command line i am passing in,
so i need to change them to be "don\'t".

but thanks, i will turn on the log, it should help in the future . . . .

BTW, i appreciate the quick answers to postings here . . . .