Re: command length?

From: stev knowles <stev(at)Precision(dot)Guesswork(dot)COM>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, Postgresql Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: command length?
Date: 2002-06-28 19:08:32
Lists: pgsql-novice

>Stev,
>
>> is there a limit to how long a *line* can be in a command? i understand
>> that a command can continue across several lines, but is there a limit to
>> the length of a line?
>
>No, there is no limit. Well, maybe 32,565 characters, but not less than
that.

i am using a C interface into the database, based on the example code.
occasionally, one of my INSERT's fails, with: INSERT command failed:
PGRES_FATAL_ERROR.

other inserts work correctly. re-entering the data doesnt seem to help, and
a comparison with a successful INSERT doesnt yield anything obvious. is
there any way to get a more granular answer for what it didnt like?