Re: beta testing version

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: "Vadim Mikheev" <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com>, "Adam Haberlach" <adam(at)newsnipple(dot)com>
Cc: "Thomas Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: beta testing version
Date: 2000-12-03 15:44:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
At 11:00 PM 12/2/00 -0800, Vadim Mikheev wrote:
>> There is risk here.  It isn't so much in the fact that PostgreSQL, Inc
>> is doing a couple of modest closed-source things with the code.  After
>> all, the PG community has long acknowleged that the BSD license would
>> allow others to co-op the code and commercialize it with no obligations.
>>
>> It is rather sad to see PG, Inc. take the first step in this direction.
>>
>> How long until the entire code base gets co-opted?
>
>I totaly missed your point here. How closing source of ERserver is related
>to closing code of PostgreSQL DB server? Let me clear things:

(not based on WAL)

That's wasn't clear from the blurb.

Still, this notion that PG, Inc will start producing closed-source products
poisons the well.  It strengthens FUD arguments of the "open source can't
provide enterprise solutions" variety.  "Look, even PostgreSQL, Inc realizes
that you must follow a close sourced model in order to provide tools for
the corporate world."

  http://donb.photo.net.