Re: 8192 BLCKSZ ?

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mitch Vincent <mitch(at)venux(dot)net>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8192 BLCKSZ ?
Date: 2000-11-28 02:40:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers
At 09:30 PM 11/27/00 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> Well, true, but when you have 256 MB or a half-gig or more to devote to
>> the cache, you get plenty of blocks, and in pre-PG 7.1 the 8KB limit is a
>> pain for a lot of folks.
>
>Agreed.  The other problem is that most people have 2-4MB of cache, so a
>32k default would be too big for them.

I've always been fine with the default, and in fact agree with it.  The
OpenACS project recommends a 16KB default for PG 7.0, but that's only so
we can hold reasonable-sized lzText strings in forum tables, etc.

I was only lamenting the fact that the world seems to have the impression
that it's not a default, but rather a hard-wired limit.

  http://donb.photo.net.