Re: Function sequence error with ODBCExpress

From: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
To: Kovacs Zoltan Sandor <tip(at)pc10(dot)radnoti-szeged(dot)sulinet(dot)hu>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function sequence error with ODBCExpress
Date: 2000-08-01 23:57:16
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

At 01:57 08/02/2000 +0200, Kovacs Zoltan Sandor wrote:
>> Commiting or Aborting the inserted rows will work fine, whether you're
inserting
>> the rows positionally or using an INSERT SQL statement, however after
you commit
>> or abort (or probably before you commit or abort) you must close the result
>> sets, since the ODBC driver you're using will cause the result set
cursors to be
>> closed on the commit or abort (and tehreby causing function sequence
errors when
>> you try to access the result sets afterwards). Afterwards you can open the
>> result sets again.

>> End of quoting. Is the solution what the answers suggest? It would be
>> great if the result sets need not to be closed. What is your solution for
>> this?
>
>The things above seem to be true: each dataset should be closed and then
>all must be reopen which is linked to a grid. Now there is no "Function
>sequence error" for us, but it is painful to close them datasets all the
>time... :-(

I can't remember the odbc driver insides well enough, but I'll check
tomorrow. Maybe Byron is listening? Anyway, I use ODBCExpress with Delphi
in both forms and grids without trouble. But I don't use COMMITs or ABORTs
directly. The OE api handles all the low end stuff quite well when using
grids and such. I'll use exception handling when executing hstmt sql
statements. I only need to close/reopen datasets when keeping detail
datasets current with their master. OE is (was?) sometimes not reliable
with automatic master/detail grids. But I've never had to close/reopen with
each insert/update/delete in a dataset.

Ken