Re: [HACKERS] LZTEXT for rule plan stings

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL HACKERS <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] LZTEXT for rule plan stings
Date: 2000-02-25 21:29:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 09:36 PM 2/25/00 +0100, Jan Wieck wrote:

> But it requires an initdb and we're in BETA. So I better ask
> if someone complains.

Well...here's an example of a view that worked in 6.5, with an 8KB
block size, that fails in 7.0 unless I build with a 16KB block size:

create view ec_products_displayable
as
select * from ec_products
where active_p='t';

Impressively large, eh? :) I was kinda grossed out when Postgres
choked on it, to be honest.

ec_products in this case has quite a few columns...

You know, I've investigated further and the rule string itself is
no where near 8KB. More like 1KB. So there is more to the story
than just the string itself.

Still, it should help because most of my failing views were just
a bit over 8KB. One still fails with a 16KB block size, though!
Fortunately it's not currently used in the web tool kit.

Anyway, it seems to me that we need SOME solution to this problem.
It is going to be hard to convince users that views like the one
above are really too complex for Postgres to handle.

I still like the idea of "text" being implemented under the hood
as lzText for a quick 7.1 release if that idea works out ...

http://donb.photo.net.