Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Hiroshi Inoue" <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "PostgreSQL Development" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Happy column dropping
Date: 2000-01-25 15:24:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 12:29 AM 1/25/00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

>Not pretending to speak for Peter, but --- I don't think there's anybody
>here who hasn't got the highest standards in mind as an end goal. Yet
>we have many miles to go, and we seldom agree on whether a particular
>problem is the most critical next thing to work on. Each of us is doing
>what comes to hand to be done. Sometimes we can fix a problem properly,
>and sometimes we can only put a finger in the dike, or apply triage and
>say "that's going to have to go unfixed a while longer".

Yes, I know, and I'm probably being a bit over-obnoxious.

>Yup, it's a little disorganized, but that's both the curse and the
>blessing of open-source development. Anybody who's *really* annoyed
>by a particular problem is welcome to come and work on it.

Well...I'm trying to spend about four hours a week reading code, maybe
someday I'll get there :) Once we're done porting the arsDigita Community
System from Oracle to Posgres and once I'm done with my current contract,
I'll have more time to play.

I realize that at some point I need to do more than just whine about
things.

http://donb.photo.net.