Re: Very large tables

From: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "William Temperley" <willtemperley(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Very large tables
Date: 2008-11-28 16:03:52
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Nov 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>wrote:

> William Temperley escribió:
>
> > I've been asked to store a grid of 1.5 million geographical locations,
> > fine. However, associated with each point are 288 months, and
> > associated with each month are 500 float values (a distribution
> > curve), i.e. 1,500,000 * 288 * 500 = 216 billion values :).
> >
> > So a 216 billion row table is probably out of the question. I was
> > considering storing the 500 floats as bytea.
>
> What about a float array, float[]?

you seriously don't want to use bytea to store anything, especially if the
datatype matching exists in db of choice.
also, consider partitioning it :)

Try to follow rules of normalization, as with that sort of data - less
storage space used, the better :)
And well, I would look for a machine with rather fast raid storage :) (and
spacious too).

--
GJ