Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?

From: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: admin <mick(at)mjhall(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Drupal and PostgreSQL - performance issues?
Date: 2008-10-13 09:19:16
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:08 AM, admin <mick(at)mjhall(dot)org> wrote:

> I am also evaluating Drupal + PostgreSQL at the moment. We are building a
> local government website/intranet that doesn't need to be lightning fast or
> handle millions of hits a day, but it does need to be rock solid and
> potentially needs to manage complex business processes. So PostgreSQL seems
> a good choice.
>
> However, PostgreSQL support in the PHP CMS world seems lacking. Joomla is
> basically a MySQL-only shop. Drupal is *maybe* suitable, but who really
> knows where it will end up?

that's the thing. For whatever reason, everyone starts a web project with
mysql underneeth. They even don't structure dbs well, not to mention using
transactions, and stuff like that.
At the end of day, postgresql shares more or less the same queries - if
implemented - and same type of primitive db schema, with all its problems.

> Can anyone recommend an alternative CMS with the features and flexibility
of Drupal that supports PostgreSQL 100%? W hat about the Python world, what
is Plone like with PostgreSQL support?
You seriously don't want to go that route. Plone is such a pain to support,
and slow thing as well.