Re: build multiple indexes in single table pass?

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: build multiple indexes in single table pass?
Date: 2008-04-01 12:47:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 5:51 PM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:

> From the "idle thoughts in the middle of the night" department:
>
> I don't know if this has come up before exactly, but is it possible that
> we could get a performance gain from building multiple indexes from a
> single sequential pass over the base table?

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-02/msg00236.php

IMHO it should be possible to extend the grammar to add
multiple indexes in one go. But the current index build itself looks
very tightly integrated with the heap scan. So it might be tricky to
separate out the scan and the index building activity.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee