Re: [HACKERS] ANALYZE getting dead tuple count hopelessly wrong

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Stuart Brooks" <stuartb(at)cat(dot)co(dot)za>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ANALYZE getting dead tuple count hopelessly wrong
Date: 2008-04-01 07:37:20
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 1:22 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Please do --- I have a lot of other stuff on my plate.

Please see the attached patch. One change I made is to hold the SHARE lock
on the page while ANALYZE is reading tuples from it. I thought it would
be a right thing to do instead of repeatedly acquiring/releasing the lock.

Another thing I noticed while working on this is VACUUM probably reports the
number of dead tuples incorrectly. We don't count the DEAD line pointers as
"tups_vacuumed" which is fine if the line pointer was marked DEAD in the
immediately preceding heap_page_prune(). In that case the DEAD line pointer
is counted in "ndeleted" count returned by heap_page_prune(). But it fails to
count already DEAD line pointers.

For example

postgres=# CREATE TABLE test (a int, b char(500));
CREATE TABLE
postgres=# INSERT INTO test VALUES (generate_series(1,15),'foo');
INSERT 0 15
postgres=# DELETE FROM test;
DELETE 15
postgres=# select count(*) from test;
count
-------
0
(1 row)

postgres=# VACUUM VERBOSE test;
INFO: vacuuming "public.test"
INFO: "test": removed 0 row versions in 1 pages
INFO: "test": found 0 removable, 0 nonremovable row versions in 1 pages
DETAIL: 0 dead row versions cannot be removed yet.
There were 0 unused item pointers.
1 pages contain useful free space.
0 pages are entirely empty.
CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
INFO: "test": truncated 1 to 0 pages
DETAIL: CPU 0.00s/0.00u sec elapsed 0.00 sec.
VACUUM

So VACUUM reports "zero" dead row versions which may seem
counter-intuitive especially in the autovac log message (as
someone may wonder why autovac got triggered on the table)

I am thinking we can make heap_page_prune() to only return
number of HOT tuples pruned and then explicitly count the DEAD
line pointers in tups_vacuumed.

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee

Attachment Content-Type Size
Analyze-fix.patch.gz application/x-gzip 2.5 KB