CREATE TABLE, load and freezing

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL-development Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CREATE TABLE, load and freezing
Date: 2008-02-28 09:08:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I had this idea sometime back. Not sure if this has been discussed before

In a typical scenario, user might create a table and load data in the table as
part of a single transaction (e.g pg_restore). In this case, it would help if we
create the tuples in the *frozen* state to avoid any wrap-around related issues
with the table.  Without this, very large read-only tables would
require one round of
complete freezing if there are lot of transactional activities in the
other parts
of the database. And when that happens, it would generate lots of unnecessary
IOs on these large tables.

I don't know if this is a real problem for anybody, but I could think
of its use case, at least in theory.

Is it worth doing ?

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee
EnterpriseDB     http://www.enterprisedb.com

Next:From: Florian G. PflugDate: 2008-02-28 09:35:38