CIC and deadlocks

From: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: CIC and deadlocks
Date: 2007-03-31 12:15:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Isn't CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY prone deadlock conditions ?
I saw one with VACUUM today. But I think it can happen with other
commands like VACUUM FULL, CLUSTER, CREATE INDEX
CONCURRENTLY and so on. These commands conflict on the
ShareUpdateExclusiveLock held by CIC and hence would wait for
CIC to release the lock. At the same time, CIC would wait for these
transactions to complete.

We know that these commands are run in a separate transaction
and do not do any index fetches or inserts/updates. So in principle
CIC need not wait for these transactions to complete in any
of its waits. May be we can skip waits on the transactions that
are running one of these commands.

Is it something worth doing ?

Thanks,
Pavan