FATAL: could not open relation xxx: No such file or directory

From: "Mikko Partio" <mpartio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: FATAL: could not open relation xxx: No such file or directory
Date: 2008-04-09 13:47:28
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello all

my struggle with the database continues (see earlier thread titled "too many
trigger records found for relation xyz").

Today, I created yet another to table to the same database. Everything went
ok, no errors or anything, but when I checked pg_tables -view I saw two
tables with the same name. Instantly I queried pg_class and yes there was
again two tables with same oid. I dropped the table before anything more
serious could happen, but then postgres started to complain of "cache lookup
failed for relation ...". I disconnected my psql session and tried to
reconnect but failed to do so:

2008-04-09 16:39:25 EEST [18984]: [1-1] FATAL: could not open relation
1663/16386/544592: No such file or directory

Indeed, there is no such file in that directory. I'm guessing that file is
connected to the table I just dropped. Now, is there anything to do to get
the database back online? I can still connect to other databases in the same
instance.

Regards

Mikko