Re: Stray autovacuum daemon

From: "Mikko Partio" <mpartio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stray autovacuum daemon
Date: 2008-02-22 17:01:12
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
wrote:

> Mikko Partio escribió:
>
> > Now, the problem is that I cannot turn autovacuum off! I have tried to
> set
> > autovacuum = off at postgresql.conf with no avail. I have also tried to
> > disable the vacuum by inserting rows to pg_autovacuum but still the
> vacuum
> > processes just pop up. What's even more weird is that autovacuum is
> > vacuuming the same tables over and over. No sign of xid wraparound
> issues
> > show in the logs. How can I stop autovacuum without restarting the
> database
> > instance?
>
> If your database is in danger of Xid wraparound, autovacuum will run on
> it no matter what you do.  Check pg_class.relfrozenxid and
> pg_database.datfrozenxid, and the current Xid counter (from
> pg_controldata I think).  Also take a look at the description of the
> autovacuum_min_freeze_age param (or was it max_freeze_age?  I forget).

But I thought vacuum would send some messages to log if xid wraparound is
looming?

SELECT relname, age(relfrozenxid) FROM pg_class WHERE relkind = 'r' order by
2 desc limit 4;
    relname    |    age
---------------+-----------
 table1 | 2141707556
 table2 | 2141707556
 table3  | 2141707556
 table4  | 2141707556

SELECT datname, age(datfrozenxid) FROM pg_database;
  datname  |    age
 template1 | 1833384067
 template0 | 1833384065
 postgres  | 1933384063
 mydb     | 2040873036

Seems ok to me ... ? autovacuum_freeze_max_age and vacuum_freeze_min_age
have the default value.

Regards

Mikko