Re: Simple Text Field Encryption

From: "Damian Carey" <jamianb(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: gcj <gauss21(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Simple Text Field Encryption
Date: 2008-10-23 20:38:53
Lists: pgsql-novice
On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 4:11 AM, gcj <gauss21(at)comcast(dot)net> wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple way to encrypt the contents of a text field in one
> of my Postgres tables.  I'm not looking for anything that is bullet-proof --
> just something that would mask the field's contents from a casual user
> looking at the table via pgAdminIII or any other client application / query.
> I'm hoping there is a built-in Postgres function that I could call from my
> java web application to encrypt/mask a text string and then store the
> encrypted value in the DB.  Thereafter, I would be able to query the
> encrypted field, de-crypt back to the original value, etc.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.

To handle it Java side you could check out this link ...

Note the comments following the article warn of the limitations of
this technique. However, it does seem to be adequate for what you have

I'm a postgres novice, but my guess is that if your Java app could use
postgres to crypt/decrypt that internally then the
KGB/CIA/Stasi/Greenpeace/Amnesty etc could use pgAdminIII (or
whatever) to get postgres to decrypt it just as easily.