Dividing progress/debug information in pg_standby, and stat before copy

From: Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Dividing progress/debug information in pg_standby, and stat before copy
Date: 2010-01-25 17:45:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi!

I poked around a little at pg_standby because of some 'cp: file does
not exist' errors that were cropping up as pg_standby searched around
for .history files.

I added a stat that still outputs debugging information but now we
don't get cp failures, and then added a 'progress' mode. It was a bit
of a semantic stretch, but '-l' had been used for 'link' in the past.

I will also add a timestamp to all of the output in my next patch. But
before I do that..

Questions:

* Could we just re-use '-l' for logging?
* Is there a way to get a non-module to use the ereport/elog system?

-selena

--
http://chesnok.com/daily - me
http://endpoint.com - work

Next:From: Baron SchwartzDate: 2010-01-25 18:05:49