Re: PostgreSQL Certification

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Robert Treat" <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Certification
Date: 2008-02-04 16:58:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Feb 4, 2008 8:19 AM, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:
> On Monday 04 February 2008 09:52, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> > On Feb 4, 2008 4:27 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> > > Even a new domain seems odd to me - if this is to be official, then
> > > surely it should be under postgresql.org.
> >
> > Having a separate TLD actually increases the visibility of the effort
> > from a search engine perspective.
> >
> > We can learn a lesson from Perl advocacy - it is still possible to
> > render projects invisible to the outside world through excessive
> > consolidation. A search for "perl blogs" still does not put
> > use.perl.org in the top results.
> >

> hmm, i'd have thought you would have wanted planet.perl.org anyway (though
> that doesn't show up either)

Maybe. The use.perl.org blogs probably just need to be promoted a bit
more. For a long time, some of the admins refused to use the word
'blog' to describe any of the content. They used 'journal' instead,
and that really hurt the search. Search for 'perl journals' and you'll
see what i mean.

I realize this is getting a bit far afield of the main topic.

The relevance to -advocacy (for me) is that we should encourage some
experimentation, and the current growth in domains and lists is a
really good thing.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group