Re: Utah (or perhaps SLC) PUG

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Josh Tolley" <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Utah (or perhaps SLC) PUG
Date: 2007-12-10 07:18:19
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Dec 5, 2007 11:12 AM, Josh Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I've been considering setting up a users group, and polling the locals
> to gauge interest. Several have suggested the best way to start might
> be to just set up a mailing list, publicize it a bit, and see who
> joins up. If the powers that be are willing, I'd like to request such
> a list.

Hi Josh,

Welcome! I didn't see any replies on-list... Sorry if we all missed
this! I believe Josh Berkus was out of the country when you sent your
message. He should be back soon (or may be already), and then could
help you with a user group mailing list. Josh, and others on
-advocacy, may be able to connect you with some other PostgreSQL folks
in your area.

As far as starting a user group, I recommend talking a few people you
know into having a meeting, picking a good day for all of you and then
announcing your meeting on as many open-source related mailing lists
and user groups you can find there locally. You can have a look at the
archives of the PDXPUG or SFPUG blogs and mailing lists to get an idea
of what we're doing.

The blogs are at http://pugs.postgresql.org

pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org is a good place to post your
starting-a-group announcement and after-meeting synopsis. David Fetter
will announce your meeting in the Local section of his weekly news
announcements if you let him know about it in advance.

You probably already know about this: http://www.utosf.org/ They
seem like a great resource.

Good luck, and happy to hear you're interested in starting a group!
And if you're ever in the Portland area, get in touch!

-selena
--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group