Re: Uniform policy for author credits in contrib module documentation?

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Uniform policy for author credits in contrib module documentation?
Date: 2007-12-06 16:21:23
Lists: pgsql-docspgsql-hackers
On Dec 5, 2007 8:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> If we do want to keep credits in the SGML pages, how extensive should
> they be?

> I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, except that I think
> we should have a uniform policy for all the contrib modules.

One of the things that I used to do with the old HOWTO documentation
from the Linux Documentation Project was jump directly to the
Acknowledgement or Credit sections and read who the author had decided
to thank, and then search for more information about those people and
what they had done.

While it might be a pain to maintain that information, it does
humanize and provide context for a document.

Also, the tradition of thanking people (or higher powers) and taking a
few moments to reflect on who might have helped one accomplish
something is a good one.  Maybe I'm just being nostalgic, but I like
that the content of credit sections is not uniform.

Rather than remove credits, we could apply a regex to obfuscate the
email addresses, and offer a mention to authors in the more general
contributors area when packages are added.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group