Meeting wrap-up, Next meeting: TUESDAY December 11 @ CubeSpace

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Postgresql PDX_Users" <pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Meeting wrap-up, Next meeting: TUESDAY December 11 @ CubeSpace
Date: 2007-11-16 17:49:41
Lists: pdxpug

Last night's meeting was about ptop and Mark Wong's efforts to make an
interactive, command-line tool for monitoring the current status of a
PostgreSQL database.

Before we dive into the meeting notes, some group business:

Thank you Mark & Gabrielle for sending out meeting announcements this month.

December Coders Bash
Tuesday, December 11, 2007
CubeSpace, 622 SE Grand Ave., Portland OR 97214

Sam from the PHP Users group started organizing a group event in
December, inviting folks from all the different users groups to come
and socialize.

See link for details:

Gabrielle, Mark and I thought it would be awesome to have a ptop
HackAThon the weekend after Thanksgiving. Some possible features we'd
work on are below. Anyone interested? Get in touch.  I was thinking
the early afternoon on Saturday, or early evening on Sunday.

For our meeting, Mark set up a test operating system on a USB drive,
and bravely demo'd his new software.

Mark got the idea for ptop a few months ago, and went looking for the
source code to top to get started. After a few days of hacking, he had
a some useful features he wanted to share. So, he's set up a project
and started gathering developers:

The features currently supported include displaying:

- Current queries
- Query plans
- Locks
- User table statistics
- User index statistics

One feature I particularly liked was showing deltas of statistics over
time. So you set your ptop sampling interval to some value (i.e. 5
seconds) and then you can see, for example, user table statics
changing over time. This is something I wrote some perl scripts for,
but would love to have as a standard utility.  Particularly if I could
log/graph it.

Currently, ptop is only compiling on Linux. I really want it on Mac OS X.

We came up with a short list of desired features for the next revision of ptop:

* Change command line options to match psql (-U for user, -p for port, etc)
* Add command to show table (basically \dt [tablename]) for non-query processes
* Enable arrow keys to move around in the content to select, instead
of cut/paste process ID
* Log the stats deltas over time (i would be very interested in this)
* Change lock query to use an OUTER JOIN to show "waiting" locks that
aren't granted

And just a general question that came up:
* Is it possible to peek at a currently executing SELECT statement's plan?
	- We all agreed that this would be awesome.

Thanks for a great meeting.

Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group

pdxpug by date

Next:From: Mark WongDate: 2007-11-20 00:20:57