Re: Euro PG conference?

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Euro PG conference?
Date: 2007-10-13 15:43:32
Lists: pgeu-general

[oops! forgot to cc the list]

On 10/13/07, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi Selena,
>
> a forgot to mention a key aspect for the 2007 organisation of PGDay
> in Italy. It was free. Nobody paid anything for registration.

Sure! And I am doing all the work for my conference for free -- no one
has paid me anything other than compliments. Which I appreciate!!

I am in favor of free registration conferences -- but as you know very
well the conference is only free because of sponsorships or
endowments, and organizers are putting their own time and money into
the conference. For me, who doesn't have as many contacts with
businesses who can fund every aspect of my conference, I thought it
was fair to request a small fee for our conference to make sure that
we could cover the expenses. Most of our expenses were for food.

As it turns out, Joshua Drake and Josh Berkus have many contacts in
the industry and were able to get quite a bit of corporate
sponsorship. So, in the end the conference will be profitable and all
the money has been given to Software in the Public Interest, the
umbrella non-profit that the PostgreSQL community in the US has been
sending money to.

> By the way, thanks for pointing out those interesting resources about
> the Perl conference. ;)

You're welcome! The Perl community has been doing the type of
organizing we're all talking about for a long time, and I feel like I
could learn a lot from their experience.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group